We know the impact of stroke varies greatly, so our clinical team provides comprehensive and individualized assessments and treatment for those who have sustained a stroke. Our patient-centered care model addresses individual needs so patients can reach their maximum potential.
Length of Stay
There are various factors that impact the length of stay at REHAB, but on average, participants stay about 3-4 weeks in our stroke rehabilitation program. For example, a stroke survivor who can walk may have a length of stay for only 5-10 days, while another stroke survivor that can only partially walk may have a 2-3 week length of stay.
Initial therapy assessments are performed on the day of admission. Each patient will receive:
- At least 3 hours of intensive therapy daily (in total for a day). This includes daily physical, occupational, speech and recreational therapy
- Therapy sessions may occur between 6:00AM - 5:30PM
- Minimum of 5 days per week. Schedules provided to each patient on a daily basis. Staff will encourage patients to remain active throughout the day.
- Other therapy assessments may be completed by your interdisciplinary care team, for example:
- Medical assessment
- Nutritional assessment
- Leisure interest assessment
General Rehabilitation Schedule
REHAB provides each patient a care plan suited to their needs and optimal recovery. Below is a sample of some milestones a patient may expect as part of their stroke rehabilitation program experience, keeping in mind that every patient’s plan will be impacted by such factors as insurance, family/caregiver involvement; severity of injury, home environment, etc).
- Patient Assessments: Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy, Recreational Therapy
- Full Therapy Schedule
- Meet with neuropsychologist
- Participate in Inpatient Stroke Support Group
- Caregiver training (may start earlier; based on patient goals and needs)
- Reintegration Program (e.g., home assessment, if needed)
- Discharge planning/Discharge
- Initiate evaluation/assessment for Adaptive Equipment (if needed)
- Initiate evaluation/assessment for Wheelchair ….(if needed)
- Start therapy in Outpatient clinic (frequency of therapy is determined by therapist)
- Stroke Support Group Meeting (monthly)