REHAB first started as a department of the Kauikeolani Children’s Hospital in response to the need for rehabilitation services in Hawaii. It was originally known as the Rehabilitation Center of Hawaii when it opened its doors in 1953.
The Center was housed in the back of the Children’s Hospital in two renovated Quonset huts. It had 18 inpatient beds and facilities to treat 50 outpatients.
On October 1, 1969, the Center changed its name to Pacific Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine (PIRM).
On October 1, 1975, PIRM became independent of Children’s Hospital which merged into what we now know as Kapiolani Women’s and Children’s Hospital. And the institute was renamed the Rehabilitation Hospital of the Pacific. Today, most people know us as REHAB.